Credentials: Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University
Position title: Postdoctoral Researcher
Room 2029, 1415 Engineering Drive, Madison, WI 53706
Jianping was born in Hunan Province, China. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering at Dalian University of Technology and earned his PhD in Chemical Engineering from Texas A&M University in 2020. He joined the Van Lehn group as Keegstra Postdoc in the Fall of 2020, co-advised with the Maravelias group.
My research focuses on simultaneous material design and process synthesis. A promising application will be optimal solvent design in tandom with process design for effective recovery of bioproducts.
My PhD work focus on the process design, synthesis and intensification. The conceptual design framework departs from conventional unit operational building block to abstract building blocks. These building blocks represent various physicochemical phenomena and the combination of them yields classic process flowsheets or intensified flowsheets with drastic process improvements. The building block representation is described as a mixed-integer nonlinear programming (MINLP) problem. To deal with computational challenges, my research has developed general algorithms for surrogate modeling, symmetry breaking and decomposition.
6. A. Arora, J. Li, M. S. Zantye, M.M.F. Hasan. Design Standardization of Unit Operations for Reducing the Capital Intensity and Cost of Small?scale Chemical Processes. AIChE Journal, 2020, 66(2), e16802.
5. J. Li, S.E. Demirel, M.M.F. Hasan. Building Block-based Synthesis and Intensification of Work and Heat Exchange Networks. Processes, 2019, 7(1), 23.
4. J. Li, S.E. Demirel, M.M.F. Hasan. Process Synthesis using Block Superstructure with Automated Flowsheet Generation and Optimization. AIChE Journal, 2018, 64(8), 3082.
3. J. Li, S.E. Demirel, M.M.F. Hasan. Fuel Gas Network Synthesis using Block Superstructure. Processes, 2018, 6(3), 23.
2. J. Li, S.E. Demirel, M.M.F. Hasan. Process Integration using Block Superstructure. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2018, 57(12), 4377–4398.
1. S. E. Demirel, J. Li, M.M.F. Hasan. Systematic process intensification using building blocks. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 2017, 150, 2–38.